Monday 14 March 2011

Good Wrasse HRF Session 14-03-2011

Headed out to a mark local to me down in West Cornwall. Decided to fish an area further along the coast path, which had not produced before on two previous attempts, but the weather conditions suited it and it's a spot that should hold Wrasse. Typical deep clear water, granite towers and gullies with steep drop off and kelp. With increasing Easterly winds, the small bay I was in with high cliffs offered some protection.

I was using a heavier sinker on the Texas rig than normal, 9g with a size 1 hook, the lure of choice was the Nories Lady Fish 3.5" Glass Ayu, rigged weedless and skinned. The heavier weight combated the gusting wind well, allow good feel, as the lure was very slowly twitched and bounced along the rocky bottom. I was fishing at a height of around 15' above the water, as there was a shallow submerged shelf in front of me before the drop off into deep dark water.

Was not long till I felt the rapid tapping of something going for my lure. Took a couple more casts till I got the hook up. Jumping down the rocks, steering the fish to a suitable landing spot, first fish of the day, a Wrasse. The same lure and rock spot accounted for four more fish of varying sizes and colours. I did catch a sixth fish 30m along, but the majority all came from pretty much the same spot, just below a deep drop off. Measured and weighed four of the fish, two of them were small so quick photo and returned.

Wrasse 39cm 2lb 7oz


Wrasse 36cm 2lb 0oz


Wrasse 35cm 1lb 120z

 
Wrasse 33cm 1lb 70z


Small Wrasse

 
Small Wrasse



As mentioned above, all caught on the same lure, using a Nories Rockfish Bottom Light rod (7-15g) with 0.8PE line, on a Certate 2506. Good to get a session in where more than one fish was caught. This was my first outing this week, and already twice the number of fish caught over last week.

3 comments:

  1. Nice fishing as usual Paul.

    Those first 3 are nice and fat eh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul - great blog, will put a link to it up from my website/blog if that is ok with you. Nice fish by the way. Cheers, Henry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Henry, likewise, I will link yours on my Blog.

    ReplyDelete