Monday 7 March 2011

Estuary Night Light Game 06-03-2011

Had to think how to define this report. Reason being, with the categories in our sport, I was wondering where this report fits. I know it's important not to pigeon hole styles and techniques, and cross over happens and is useful, be it equipment or methods. I fished the local estuary, from the rocky shoreline, using a 3" lure, weighted with 3g, on a 0.8PE line, 2506 Certate reel, with a rod rated 5-12g (Nories SeaBass Program' 72LLS Tide Controller). It's not a heavy set up, yet it's not what I consider a true light set up, maybe somewhere inbetween. What do you guys think?

Anyway, the report. Fished either side of high. Big tides meant very little slack water, and lots of current and flow with the water being crystal clear. A new moon meant conditions were very dark, very quiet, a good chance to really tune into the the fishing, feel everything, and cast and retrieve without being able to see.

First fish came as the tide had turned, and started to flow out. I was using an Ecogear Aqua Milfle, rigged on a size 1 wide gape weedless hook, rigged Texas style with a 3g non toxic bullet sinker. Casting out into the flow, letting the current do the work, bumping the bottom with small lifts. This estuary is a mix of shail and rocky/weedy patches, so lots of contact feel.

Two of the fish were taken close in, on the drop with smooth lifts. The other one came on the drop, from the cast, lure did not hit the bottom. The lure caught in both orange and pearl colours. All three Pollack were around the same size, and actually put up a bit of a fight, swimming with the current. Nice to get some bigger fish after the small ones I have been having at night in the Harbours.




These were the first 'real' fish on this new rod, and it will be used primarily as my Bass rod. The few session I have used it feel promising, and I am looking forward to getting into some decent sized fish with it. 

2 comments:

  1. Paul,

    I think that combo is a whole bunch lighter than most UK guys are using for their main Bass setup's.

    Nice to see you got amongst a better stamp of fish, how did that action on the rod feel during the fight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rod felt good, but it was a short fight, as the fish were at close range, two almost beneath my feet. Need to get some more catches under it's belt before I can make a proper comment. One thing I can say, is a Bass over 3lb is going to feel like a monster on this set up.

    ReplyDelete