Saturday 4 December 2010

West Cornwall 5 day Report

Friday 8th October

Fished in the afternoon on a flooding tide for a couple of hours. Was trying out some Megabass Xlayer's with a jig head for the first time. Sunny weather and a some swell running. Managed to catch a Bass, inhaled the 4" Xlayer! Didn't manage to weigh or measure it, somewhere around 2.5lb I would guess. That was the only bite I had. Good to catch first time with a new lure.


 Monday 11th October

Fished in the morning at about 8:00am, high tide through the ebb for about 3 hours. Moved around from rock to rock, had a couple of pollack to start off with, fishing from rock into deep gullies. Went quiet for a while as the tide got lower, then had a gar fish, followed by a decent sized mackerel. All fish were caught on a 11cm Yo Zuri Cystal Minnow, silver sided red head. Whilst down at water level on a rock, a big seal popped up about 5m from me, staring me down! That signaled the end of that session. No camera unfortunately for pics.

Tuesday 12th October

8:00am session again, 1 hour of flood then 2 hours on the drop. Tried a couple more spots in the same area as previous days. Had a very good bite, with line taken, just started bringing it back, when the plug was spat. Didn't even get a look at it. Had a bass follow my plug all the way to my feet, but turned away at the last drop of water, no bite. The session was not a blank, managed to get a small pollack on a Rapala Xrap. Photo then released. Beautiful weather to be out fishing.





Wednesday 13th October

Fished from 17:00, an hour or so after low water on the push. Went to the same rock I fished from on the Friday. Had a couple of new plugs to try out from Veals, the Maria Chase BW in Holo Silver, and a MegaBass Vision OneTen, in HT Sayori. After about 30 mins with the Maria Chase, I had a very good take. Fair bit of line stripped, before tightening up and slowly gaining some ground. I was a bit cautious after loosing a few fish on plugs in the previous days, but kept good tension on the line. After bout 3 mins, I saw the silver flash of a bass break the surface, and shortly after landed. Unfortunately I have not been able to weigh this fish, but I think it beats my previous best of 3lb 1oz. It measured 19” / 48cm from tip to tail. Fished for 30 mins or so after, but no more bites. Did not get a chance to use the MegaBass.







14/10/2010

Same spot, 8:00am start with about 2 hours of flooding tide. Wanted to try out my other lure I received from Veals, the Megabass Vision OneTen in HT Sayori. Fished from a ledge into fairly deep water, wasn't long till I had a good bite, but quickly lost it. Varying my cast, I worked it tight along the rock edge, and another fish bit, and sped off with some line, it was quickly brought back in tho, and I landed a pollack. This is a my PB for a pollack, much bigger than any I have had lure fishing before. Did not get to weigh or measure tho, just a quick photo before releasing back. Went quiet again, then thought I would try some casts right into the shore behind me. First cast had another fish hooked, much more fight than the pollack, so I was hoping for a bass. As it surfaced, and I was bringing it in, another bass of the same size was swimming head to head with it, trying to nip at the plug as well! I let it circle beneath me for a while, seeing if I could get two fish on one plug, before finally landing the one fish. Not as big as the day before, so another photo and released back. One thing I am gonna have to invest in is a tape and/or set of portable scales, so I can record the fish I release back. Big thumbs up to the MegaBass.





This brings it to 7 sessions now with no blank on my new rod. I recently purchased a Lucky Craft ESG II 3-30g 7’7” plugging rod from Monster Tackle. Have to say I am very happy with this rod, even in my novice hands. I feel I can really impart action and life into the plugs and lures I am using, and it’s shortish length is very helpful at some of the small confined rocky platforms I have fished from lately. There is also something nice about fishing with equipment that you like the look and feel of, greater confidence, and I think it’s starting to show in my fishing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment