Monday 13 December 2010

LRF First Go

Having received the last bits of my LRF outfit today, time to try it out. Decided to head down to Penzance Harbour area. Luckily, it's a 10 min walk from my GF's house to the waters edge. Fished from 18:30 - 19:30, a quick hours session, half an hour or so before high tide.

Fished at the end of Albert pier, the harbour side (not open sea), stood at the bottom of some mooring steps, there was some light shining on the water from the surrounding town and pier lighting. Having checked it out on the low tide earlier, I would be casting out into a permanent channel, over a soft silt bottom.

I decided to go with the 2" Reins Rockvibe in Gold Legend, with a 1.4g Decoy head. The lure casted beautifully, surprising the distance it would go. Some practice and will be further, not that you actually need to tho! Within 10 mins of twitching and very slow retrieve, felt my first nibble, and fish on. Brought it to my feet, and I had my first LRF fish, a small whiting. Carried on, and it was a fish every ten mins or so, total 4 whiting and 2 pollack. I was casting near the opening to the harbour, but the bites were taken closer to foot, near the wall structures.







I only used the one lure, and stuck with it as I was catching. When I go again, with more time, experimentation will be in order. The lure actually met it's death, as on the last cast, though I had a fish on, but once at my feet, it was a crab the size of a fist, who decided to shear through the lure and disappeared into the depths.

So, my thoughts on LRF. VERY ADDICTIVE, can't wait to go again. VERY HAPPY with my outfit, feels lovely in the hand, and you really do feel every little nibble, and I am sure it will get better with experience. It's also really nice to be able to take a short walk to my mark, wearing warm clothes, and no waders or cold salty spray soaking me.

No comments:

Post a Comment