Saturday 4 December 2010

Bantham 23/09/2010

Chucked my gear in the car this morning, hoping to squeeze an hour or so in after work down at Bantham.

Started fishing about 18:30, working my way around from the beach to the river, spinning at first with a 28g Abu Toby, but no bites. Spring tides, but high was just after 19:00, so not a huge amount of flooding tide heading up the river, nearing slack water.

Switched to a 12.5cm 23g Pro Logic Savagear Saltwater Sandeel, and started working it in a narrow stretch of the river. Just as the light was starting to go, cast out, and within a couple of winds on the reel, something hit my lure hard. I let it take a fair bit of line, reeling in small lengths when I could, a good bend in my rod. As I was in my waders, in a small rocky cove, once it started heading back out for the sea, I could see my line was gonna start rubbing across the submerged rocks, so tightened up, and started to bully the fish a little.

After around 5 mins, brought it to the surface near my location, and the mouth of a bass was staring at me. A new personal best, and my third ever caught, weighing in at 3lb 1oz

Most satisfying was that I used to spend hours fishing around that location as a child, and had never ever caught a fish. First time back there, and a very pleasing result.



No comments:

Post a Comment