Monday 13 June 2011

Wrasse - LRF Metals & Tiny SP's - 11-06-2011

Fished after work in Bigbury Bay, plan was to target Wrasse at a spot I caught at earlier in the week. Fished around low tide, from 1900hrs - 2030hrs. Again, strong WestSouthWest winds, but I was able to fish sheltered water, inside a rocky outcrop as seen below on the left hand side;


Fishing with the light gear, Nories Slow Retrieve rod (0.9-5g) '10 Certate 2506 loaded with Varivas 0.2PE and a 4lb fluoro leader. Fished with some tiny SP's supplied by Jacks LRF, around 1" on a size 14 barbless Carp hook, with a 0.8g split shot in front of the lure.

Bites and hook ups were almost instant, with all eight fish coming from the same standing spot, just fanning the casts out. One fish was a good size (first one pictured below) would have liked to weigh and measure it, but left the scales and ruler at home as I was fishing light.






I also fished with a couple of Ecogear VX35 3.5g vibe metals. On a rise and fall retrieve, could feel the fish having a go, and then getting the hook ups. First Wrasse I have had on this type of lure, good to catch them on a lure which is being worked at speed. I did loose both metals in snags tho, and dropped a couple more fish, so returned to the SP's. The small trebles were also taking a lot of abuse!



Finally, think I caught the smallest Wrasse I have had to date! A new species for me, a Corkwing Wrasse;

1 comment:

  1. Nice report Paul. Shame about the loss of the two vibes. Think it would help to change the trebles to carp hooks on the next ones, maybe? Been sat here changing out the last of my trebles for singles this evening, as it happens. I love soft plastics, but have spent way too much money in the past on hard plastics to just leave them as living room ornaments.
    Great to see the little SP's working for you Paul, not to mention helping bring you a new species. Albeit a smaller model ;) I hope they continue to provide plenty of fun for you mate.

    ReplyDelete