Thursday 13 December 2012

Winter Days

Seems that winter is starting to show it's head around here a bit more each day. As with the rest of the country, down here in West Cornwall, the weather of late has been bad, leading to small, short windows of opportunity to get out on the coast. It seems that there is either big seas, gale force winds or monsoon rain to contend with, at least in the far reaches of the South West, we are not experiencing the cold, frosts and even snow that I seem to be updated with regularly by folk on Facebook in other regions of the UK.

Well the next few days, and even next week are once again not looking promising, so when I took a look out to one of my favorite points close to home, the wind was manageable, and the swell looked to be just about safe enough to fish, so a quick session was on. The point on the horizon below was the mark.


After a short hike from the car, and a climb down the cliff to the rock ledge, time to get some lures wet. Conditions were rough, with a strong side wind, but still very much fishable. Started off by firing out a selection of metal jig lures, in the 20g range, with the Daiwa morethan Branzino Urban Side Custom, searching the full depth of the water column, as the lure fluttered down beneath the swell.  Nothing happening, so a I cycled through various plugs, from shallow to deep divers, sinking pencils and vib lures. After an hour and a half, nothing... I was pretty much stuck with one spot, as the conditions made it unsafe to roam like I usually would.



So even with a blank, my first for a long time, I was glad to have got out on the coast, especially knowing it wont be possible again till the weather settles, hopefully sometime before the end of 2012! I have a couple of rods on order at the moment, and they should be coming into the UK early next week, so when I get my hands on them, some fishable conditions will be top of the wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment