Tuesday 17 July 2012

Metal Casting Jigs

I have been building up my collection of metal casting jigs recently. I really enjoy this style of fishing, you can work a hugerange of distances and depths, seeking out where the fish are feeding. They seem particularly successful down in the deep water rock marks of West Cornwall, but I am really looking forward to bouncing them along the shallow sandy beaches of the South Hams, Devon.


They can be worked different ways, to suit the conditions on the day. I like to cast long, and let it sink down deep, the lure fluttering as it falls. Then a long sweep upwards of the rod tip, holding it up, so the lure follows an arc as it sinks back down. Long, sweeping lifts work well, and sometimes the fish like a more aggressive quick double pump upwards. More often than not, the takes will come after the rise, and the lure drops back down.

The LRF size jigs have long been a successful tool for me, but these new ones I have, are bigger and heavier, for my Bass and light Bass kit. The recent poor weather and winds are easily dealt with when casting a 20g metal, and they can make the difference between a blank and landing fish when conditions are tough.

Damiki Tokon Jig 20g


Damiki Tokon Jig 20g


Damiki Tokon Jig 9g


Bassday Bungy 14g


Jazz Bakutyo 20g & Bridge Bagus 20g


Tackle House Nabura Deka 14g & Nories In The Bait/Ocean 12g


Quantum Mahi 12g & 18g













No comments:

Post a Comment