Tuesday 6 March 2012

Wont Be Long

Last two days I have fished the same West Cornwall mark, a mixture of deep water, sandy and rocky weed covered bottom, spread over some gorgeous coves. One thing is for sure, it wont be long now till the Bass are being caught in numbers, with a mix of other species thrown in.

Yesterday I fished with just soft plastics, a decent ground swell running, I was using a very slow retrieve, deep down with paddle tails, and bottom bouncing with some stick baits. Tried some out Neko rigged, a new style for me, and I can see it proving useful in some situations. No fish were landed, but I did get a knock, followed by a Bass swirling up in the water beneath my rocky perch. This was no schoolie, even in the water, which can skew perceptions of size, I could see it was a very good fish. Unfortunately that was the last I saw of him.

Today I headed out with just a selection of plugs and a different rod. A little less swell, but the water was foaming white round the rocks, it just looked like there would be fish there! Using a DUO Press Bait Kamuy, I searched the water column. Straight away I had bump after bump on the lure as it fluttered down, Sometimes a fish would grab hold for a few seconds, but the single hook on the tail of the lure could not connect. Switched to a DUO Bay Ruf vib, fishing the same waters, and it was not long till there knocks turned into a fish on! Turned out to be my first Gar fish for 2012, a welcome sight that things must be warming up.



Over the past few sessions, I have seen increasing numbers of fish species around the coast, with large Launce following lures in, and occasionally being hooked, big shoals of Mullet in the bays, the occasional Bass cruising, and a lot of small bait fish holding close in. Seems that the mild weather will soon lead to some great early fishing in 2012, wont be long now!

1 comment:

  1. Garfish! I've never caught one and they're pretty high on my "new species target list" for when I'm down your neck of the woods later in the year!

    ReplyDelete